SPAM Filtering Service
Price: Please contact us for a custom configured price
Description: SPAM Filtering Service available either at a stand alone service, or as an option available with our E-Mail Hosting Service.
Benefits: Automating and outsourcing the task of Filtering SPAM greatly reduces the burden of unsolicited e-mail. Your employees spend less time dealing with SPAM, improving their efficiency and saving you money.
SPAM Filtering Service eases the difficult task of dealing with today's SPAM problem. Studies have shown that SPAM costs companies as much as $30 or more per employee per week. By greatly reducing the amount SPAM received by your employees you can increase productivity and save your company money. SPAM Filtering Service is an e-mail filter that identifies and filters SPAM from your incoming e-mail. SPAM Filtering Service uses a wide variety of local and network tests to identify spam signatures. These tests include a rule base of hundreds of rules to perform a wide range of heuristic tests on e-mail headers and body text to identify SPAM, also know as unsolicited commercial e-mail. This makes it much harder for spammers to identify one aspect which they can exploit to work around. Tactics used by our SPAM Filtering Service include:
- Header analysis: By analyzing e-mail headers using a wide variety of local and network tests, our SPAM Filtering Service tries to find the tricks that spammers use to try to hide their identities, fool you into thinking they've sent a valid e-mail, or fool you into thinking you must have subscribed at some stage.
- Body phrase analysis: By using similar techniques to analyze the body of the e-mail message, our SPAM Filtering Service finds the many characteristic styles used by spammers. This includes items like characteristic disclaimers and CYA text.
- Bayesian filtering: Bayesian filtering is based on real world examples of junk e-mail and spam, which are used to classify future e-mail. The Bayesian filters also automatically update and are self-correcting as they process new information and add it to the database.
- Automatic Address lists: The auto-whitelist feature tracks scores for your regular correspondents. It keeps track of the historical average of a sender, and pushes any subsequent mail towards that average. This feature prevent e-mail from frequent senders of legitimate e-mail from being classified as spam. This also help to keep e-mail from frequent spam senders classified as spam.
- Manual Address lists: Customers can create whitelists (senders never classified as spam) and blacklists (senders always classified as spam). These lists can be configured with individual e-mail addresses, entire domains, or e-mail address patterns.
- DNS Block-lists: Our SPAM Filtering Service also checks many private and public blacklists. These lists are used to help identify sources of repeated spamming and other network abuse.
This service includes the following features:
- Access to our web based Queue Management System. The Queue Management System provides a web interface enabling you to check the status of your account.
- Web based access to the queued e-mail. From this interface the queued e-mail can be viewed, deleted, and forwarded to other destinations.
- ETRN.com attempts delivery of queued e-mail up to four times an hour and with each new incoming e-mail.
- If needed, ETRN.com can queue e-mail for up to 30 days.
Multiple delivery modes are available:
- ETRN with automatic retry – this mode delivers queued e-mail to your server's static IP address or host name. Delivery in the mode is triggered by ETRN requests, for each e-mail received, and periodically.
- ETRN only – this mode delivers queued e-mail to your server's static IP address or host name. Delivery is only triggered by ETRN requests.
- Authenticated Dynamic – delivers queued e-mail to an authenticated dynamic IP address.
- POP3 – queued e-mail is retrieved using POP3.
- OpenVPN – in this your server establishes an OpenVPN connection to our network. This mode is combined with one of the other delivery modes to effect delivery over a secure tunnel. The OpenVPN mode can be used by customers with dynamic IP address or hosts behind a firewall.
- Virus Scanning – Comprehensive E-mail Virus Scanning is included.
User-Oriented Quarantine Management:
- Users can manage their own content filtering settings
- Users can maintain their own white-lists and blacklists
- Lets users see a list of their quarantined spam
- Lets users see a list of their quarantined viruses
- Users can view text or HTML contents of quarantined mail in decoded or raw form in a "safe" mail viewer
- Users can rescue quarantined items to have them redelivered, delete them, or confirm them as spam
- Users can report "false negatives" (i.e. spam that gets past the filters)
- Optional auto-white-listing for senders of rescued quarantine items
User-Friendly Web Interface:
- Online help pages for users and administrators
- Safe mail viewer for spam and viruses, including image-blocking
Flexible User Authentication:
- Supports login sessions with or without cookies, transparently and automatically
- Multiple e-mail addresses can be linked to a single account
- Individual settings can be maintained for each e-mail address
Powerful Administration Tools:
- Administrators can add domain-class users and configure per-domain defaults (e.g. @domain)
- Administrators can "impersonate" regular users to help with support issues
- Scheduled e-mail reminders to encourage users to review their quarantine areas
We Answer Your Questions: FAQ
Q: What is the maximum e-mail attachment size?
A: The ETRN.com e-mail servers do not limit the size of individual e-mail attachments. The ETRN.com e-mail servers do impose a 400 MB maximum total message size limit. Individual customers can choose a smaller message size limit. We can also customize the handling of "over-sized" e-mails. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs. A couple of important facts:
1. Attachments are typically encoded in what is called Base64. As a result, the actual length of MIME-compliant Base64-encoded binary data is usually about 137% of the original file size.
2. E-mails often contain both plain text and HTML components. This also increases the overall size of the e-mail.
“ETRN services have been and continue to be an excellent 1st line of defense against spam and email viruses for my organization. Their system is easy to use and they have always been very helpful and quick to respond to any questions or concerns I may have.”
George Mitchell, Stepping Stones of Rockford